Embracing Hope: 10 Bible Verses to Welcome New Year
Written by Kristen Nicole Ranario, World Vision intern
We celebrate the new year as if opening a brand-new chapter. We welcome possibilities with open arms and think that if we’re going to change something, now’s the best time. We hope for everything to be renewed for the better.
In this season of embracing changes, we, at World Vision, would like to share reminders through these 10 Bible verses that reflect God’s promises to uphold our hope.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 – Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
We often say that the new year comes with a new version of us. We seek transformation. The good news is, we can always embrace a significant change through becoming a follower of Christ. When you commit to your faith, you can then say goodbye to the old you who bears the sins or mistakes of the past and welcome the new you cleansed by Christ.
- Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Although it is good to plan ahead this new year, we must keep in mind that God has His own plans for us that will prevail among all our Plan A’s and B’s. Do not be afraid of facing unfamiliar roads or detours in your journey this year, trust that you are guided by the sovereign Lord.
- Isaiah 43:18-19 – “Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
We often set aside our old belongings when we’re finally able to replace them with new ones. This applies to when we want to embrace new versions of ourselves. You must set aside your past self and let go of all the sins, mistakes, and regrets that might have been holding you back. You are allowed to let go and let God this new year. Remember, we have been given both the way and the life through Christ.
- Matthew 7:7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Do not be afraid to ask God. It is He who loves you most. It is powerful to ask for His blessing through prayers. So, whatever your goals are this year, rest assured that He hears you.
- Lamentations 3:22-23 “Certainly the faithful love of the Lord hasn’t ended; certainly God’s compassion isn’t through! They are renewed every morning. Great is your faithfulness.”
On days when we feel like God’s too far to listen to our cries, remember that He is near enough to bless us with another day, another opportunity, or another miracle that we need. He even pours his faithful love and compassion on us as we wake up. So, whenever you open your eyes in the morning this year, feel refreshed knowing that you are already loved and blessed.
- Job 8:7 “Although your former state was ordinary, your future will be extraordinary.”
You are meant for something more. God created each of us uniquely while making sure that all of us are with many potentials. This year, know that you have more space for growth. Listen to God that you may find the way to becoming extraordinary.
- Philippians 4:13 “I can endure all these things through the power of the one who gives me strength.”
A new year does not guarantee that life will automatically change for the better. Life can never be complete without a few bumps. However, be at peace by knowing that the Lord gives us the strength to cope with all of them. We have the capability through Christ.
- Romans 8:18 “The sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.”
Just like how rainbows are formed after storms, have hope that God’s glory will craft a beautiful moment that would seem to melt all your past sufferings. Keep going. Keep moving forward.
- Ecclesiastes 3:11 “He has made everything beautiful in its time.”
Just like how flowers bloom at a particular moment in time, we too have our own times to shine. God sets the best timing for everything. Just believe that whatever progress you desire, it’ll come in the best possible time and place. Who knows? It may even be this year.
- Philippians 1:6 “being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
The Lord will never leave you hanging. Even during times when you feel like there’s no progress at all, be assured that God is working in you and through you. Be confident in your established connection with Him. He will always be looking after you.
This new year, allow these verses to clothe you with unwavering hope. Embrace each day knowing that God has provided you with the encouragement and promises you need to face what lies ahead. You’ll never be alone.
We, at World Vision, pray that you will have a blessed year ahead!